[BioPython] Numpy/Numeric

Thenaturenook1 at aol.com Thenaturenook1 at aol.com
Sat Jan 13 14:35:51 UTC 2007

_Tim  wrote_ (mailto:TimThenaturenook1 at wrote) :
> Hi,
> When I installed the  biopython dependencies I installed the new NumPy
rather
> than the  old Numeric. Was this the correct thing to do?

Peter wrote:

No - for the time being BioPython  still needs to "old" Numeric module,
but will eventually move to the new  "numpy" instead.

The download page tried to make this clear:
_http://biopython.org/wiki/Download_ (http://biopython.org/wiki/Download)

Sorry, I missed this. I was just working through the PDF installation
manual. Can I just install Numeric alongside Numpy, or do I have to try to  remove
Numpy in some way?

Peter wrote:

At the top of the page, choose "Fasta" instead of "Summary", increase
the number of records if you like, use the "Send To" drop down menu and
pick "file".  Your web browser should then ask you where to save this
fasta file.

The NBCI webpages do change every so often, but its  usually fairly clear
how to save the data to file...

A dumb question, I know, but I'm coming to biopython to try to teach  myself
a little about bioinformatics programming. My background is chemistry /
general biology / molecular&cell biology, so the computer programming  side of the
subject is completely new to me and is taking a bit of time to get  to grips
with :-)

Thanks for the quick replies,

Tim