[BioPython] FASTA file format

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Jan 13 13:01:56 UTC 2007

Thenaturenook1 at aol.com wrote:
> Sorry, just one last question.  :-)
>
> Until I get biopython working on Linux I've been using the Windows  tutorial.
> In the biopython tutorial, when a search is made for orchids, it says  to
> save the search results  in FASTA file format, but doesnt actuallly  say how to
> do this.
> I have a screen full of search results. Can someone tell me how to save
> these as a FASTA file?

So you went here, and searched for Cypripedioideae:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=Nucleotide

At the top of the page, choose "Fasta" instead of "Summary", increase
the number of records if you like, use the "Send To" drop down menu and
pick "file".  Your web browser should then ask you where to save this
fasta file.

The NBCI webpages do change every so often, but its usually fairly clear
how to save the data to file...