[BioPython] Biopython Citation

Harry Mangalam hjm at tacgi.com
Thu Feb 15 02:08:37 UTC 2007

On Thursday 08 February 2007 18:20, Sebastian Bassi wrote:
> On 2/8/07, Julius Lucks <lucks at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> > There is a nice article covering the strengths and weaknesses of
> > BioPython, BioPerl and BioJava aimed at guiding a novice user:

Thanks :)

> Yes, but BioPython grew a lot from 2002.

So have the other bio-projects. For example, I noted BioRuby in
passing but didn't include it in the survey - it's now gone to
release 1.0, some kind of a step.  It certainly is time for a
re-review.   What would be quite nice is a longish paper, perhaps in
an e-format, with a short form published on paper.  If key personnel
from each of the Bio-efforts contributed what they think are the
strengths and weaknesses of their own approach, it would be extremely
useful to a new crop of students.

Some of the problem in choosing a bio, as I mentioned in the paper, is
dependent on the language itself, some is the approach to the
problem.  Certainly, contributors to each group read each others
lists and can best lay out their arguments.

Some of the attraction to users is also dependent on how the different
distributions tend to package the contributions and the frequency
that they're updated.  I haven't checked the biopython releases
recently, but the Ubuntu distro, for example, does a very good job of
packaging popular perl modules, with the result that I haven't had to
resort to CPAN for a very long time.  Just my (possibly mistaken)
impression, but Python utilities and modules seems to be a little
less well packaged, at least by Ubuntu.

--
Harry Mangalam - Research Computing, NACS, E2148, Engineering Gateway,
UC Irvine 92697  949 824 0084(o), 949 285 4487(c)
harry.mangalam at uci.edu
--
Cheers, Harry
Harry J Mangalam - 949 856 2847(o) 949 285 4487(c) (email for fax)