[BioPython] CVS and Fink Installations

Michiel De Hoon mdehoon at c2b2.columbia.edu
Sun Feb 4 23:33:23 UTC 2007

> I am using biopython 1.42 (with python 2.5) installed with fink on an
> OSX platform.  However, I am getting more interested in biopython
> development these days, and would like to check out the latest code
> from CVS.

Great!

> Do you have any suggestions on how to have BOTH the fink and CVS code
> installed such that I can switch between the two?

Download the code from CVS, do "python setup.py build" as usual, but don't do
"python setup.py install". Then, when you want to use the CVS version, set
PYTHONPATH to the directory in which Biopython was built. For example, in my
case, that would be

export PYTHONPATH=/users/mdehoon/biopython/build/lib.linux-i686-2.5/

Then, if you do
>>> from Bio import something
it will import it from your code built from CVS.

You can do the same trick from inside Python; see the function main in
Tests/run_tests.py for an example.

--Michiel.