[BioPython] Problems with Win Release for Python 2.5: Numeric, KDTree

Hendrik Weisser s9heweis at stud.uni-saarland.de
Tue Nov 28 03:18:59 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm new to BioPython and although I can already see how greatly helpful the
package could be for me, I have some problems using it on Windows, with
Python 2.5 (specifically, the Bio.PDB module, which is what I need at the
moment).

1. issue:
BioPython requires the package Numeric, which is no longer supported and -
what's worse - *not available* for Python 2.5.
I could fix this by manually changing the code to import numpy instead, so
that "from Bio.PDB import *" would work. But I don't think it's a good idea
to put an installer for use with Python 2.5 on the website, if the
requirements cannot be met directly...

2. issue:
I want to use the NeighborSearch class in Bio.PDB, but the required KDTree
module doesn't get made during install.
I already found out that the corresponding section in setup.py in the
sources is commented out ("Disabled by default to avoid C++ compilation
errors"), but uncommenting this and trying to build from the source doesn't
work for me. Therefore, a new Windows installer that includes KDTree would
be very much appreciated (according to the mailing list archives, this
solved the same problem when it occurred with Python 2.4).

3. issue (bug?):
In the Entity class in Bio.PDB, the method "get_full_id()" fails because
(typically) at the structure level, get_parent() throws an exception (which
is not handled later) instead of returning "None".

The main question for me is whether these issues (the 2nd, mostly) can be
adressed quickly, or whether it is recommended to use the "old" Python 2.4
and corresponding packages for the time being. Can anyone help me with that?

Thanks in advance

Hendrik Weisser