[BioPython] Google Summer of Code

Clark C. Evans cce at clarkevans.com
Wed May 3 23:23:23 UTC 2006

Proposals are due by May 8, 2006 13:00 PDT.  Proposals made before
this period may get comments and permit you to update to reflect
feedback on what you submitted.

----- Forwarded message from Neal Norwitz <nnorwitz at gmail.com> -----
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 00:32:56 -0700
From: "Neal Norwitz" <nnorwitz at gmail.com>
To: python-list at python.org
Subject: Python Software Foundation seeks mentors and students
         for Google Summer of Code

This spring and summer, Google will again provide stipends
for students (18+, undergraduate thru PhD programs) to write
new open-source code.

The Python Software Foundation (PSF)

    http://www.python.org/psf/

will again act as a sponsoring organization in Google's Summer of Code,
matching mentors and projects benefiting Python and Python users.
Projects can include work on the core Python language, programmer
utilities, libraries, packages, frameworks related to Python, or
other Python implementations like Jython, PyPy, or IronPython.
Please add your project ideas to the existing set at

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode

Mentoring instructions are also on this page.  The deadline is soon,
so please sign up as a mentor early.  If you are a student
considering a project, you should start deciding now.  Feel free
to ask questions on python-dev at python.org

The main page for the Summer of Code is

    http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html

At the bottom are links to StudentFAQ, MentorFAQ, and TermsOfService.  The
first two have the timeline.  Note that student applications are due
between May 1, 17:00 PST and May 8, 17:00 PST.

People interested in mentoring a student though PSF are encouraged to
contact me, Neal Norwitz at nnorwitz at gmail.com.  People unknown to Guido
or myself should find a couple of people known within the Python community
who are willing to act as references.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.  I look forward to meeting
many new mentors and students.  Let's improve Python!

----- End forwarded message -----