[BioPython] Abuse of the new Wiki Homepage

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Jun 15 16:31:01 UTC 2006

I deal with a number of wiki sites, all of which are subjected to a
constant stream of automated spam posters.

The single best defense is volunteers who monitor the "Recent
Changes" feed and take instant action to rollback the spam changes:

http://biopython.org/wiki/Special:Recentchanges

People can monitor that page (in web or RSS form) and rollback spam
shortly after it happens. It really is the best way.  Anyone can roll
back changes. If you find yourself doing it often, ask to become a
wiki administrator and then you'll be able to blocklist people and IP
addresses as well.

Behind the scenes we do other things to block spam, including regular
expression tests on content, blacklists etc. but it is a constant
arms race with the wiki spammers and we are always a bit behind.

My $.02

-Chris