[BioPython] Abuse of the new Wiki Homepage

Mauricio Herrera Cuadra arareko at campus.iztacala.unam.mx
Thu Jun 15 16:13:50 UTC 2006

Hi Peter,

We started to have the same problem in the BioPerl wiki some months ago.
The way we usually solve this is by blocking the user account and
rolling back to the previous version of the affected document.

We have a list of wiki administrators who are constantly (and
independently) monitoring the recent changes in the site. This way we
can keep track of the changes and revert damages to the content:

http://bioperl.org/wiki/BioPerl:Administrators
http://bioperl.org/wiki/Special:Recentchanges

You can also keep track of the changes by using the RSS or Atom feeds
provided by the Recentchanges page:

http://bioperl.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Recentchanges&feed=rss
http://bioperl.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Recentchanges&feed=atom

The wiki system has memory of the blocked users and IP's, you can have a
look here:

http://bioperl.org/wiki/Special:Ipblocklist

There also exists a Blacklist, which is a complement to the main
Wikimedia's one and helps detect spam content before it goes into a
document:

http://bioperl.org/wiki/Help:Blacklist
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Spam_blacklist

I don't know who's in charge of BioPython's wiki but I hope this info
can be helpful to you.

Regards,
Mauricio.