[BioPython] biopython and jython

Michael Cariaso cariaso at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 11 03:40:53 EST 2006

Is anyone running any parts of biopython under jython?

I'm hoping to get biopython compiled into a .jar via jython. At the
moment jython is unable to import either of Bio.EUtils.HistoryClient or
DBIdsClient. Specifically I get a ClassCastException during the import.
Some other modules seem to work.

I expect that biopython's dependence on numpy could also cause problems.
If so, might JNumeric be used from jython in place of numpy?

Any experiences you've had to indicate if this is feasible would be
appreciated.

Mike Cariaso