[BioPython] Locating setup.py

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Feb 7 05:27:12 EST 2006

Omid Khalouei wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Could you please help me out locate the setup.py file used to compile
> the Biopython on Windows. I have to modify it a bit, but when I search
> for setup.py almost 15 of them are returned in different folders.
>
> Thanks for your help

Its this file in CVS,

http://cvs.biopython.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/biopython/setup.py?cvsroot=biopython

If you get the BioPython 1.41 ZIP file:

http://www.biopython.org/files/biopython-1.41.zip

If you unzip this to C:\temp then the setup.py you need to run should be
C:\temp\biopython-141\setup.py

If you goto C:\temp\biopython-141 at the command prompt, then:

python setup.py build

And if that works, to install on your machine:

python setup.py install

Or to build a windows installation setup EXE program:

python setup.py bdist_wininst

Good luck - and try checking the mailing list archives if you get stuck.

I've just tried this with Python 2.3 and MSVC 6.0 (Microsoft Visual C++)
and it fails to build the object file:

build\temp.win32-2.3\Release\Bio/PDB/mmCIF/lex.yy.obj

I found that if I comment out the Bio.PDB.mmCIF.MMCIFlex extension
module in setup.py (line 432 to 437) then it seems to build fine.

Peter

P.S. If python.exe isn't on your path, you may need to do this:

c:\python23\python.exe setup.py build