[BioPython] PDBParser looking for Numeric module

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Feb 5 06:29:47 EST 2006

Omid Khalouei wrote:
> I am trying to use the PDBParser, but I get the following error message:

> ImportError: No module named Numeric
>
> The only "numeric" module I found in my folders is in the "numarray"
> folder in site-packages, but the first letter is in lower case. So I'm
> not sure which Numeric module it is looking for. Am I missing somehting?

You need to install Numeric python to get the numeric library.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/
http://numeric.scipy.org/

The numeric libraries have been around for a long time (reaching version
24.2) and are well tested.

However, its developers are moving to numpy instead - at some point
BioPython will eventually need to convert its code to the replacement
library.

numarray is yet another array library.