[BioPython] Bio.PDB : loading Big PDB with segments

Arturas Ziemys ziemys at chbmeng.ohio-state.edu
Tue Aug 1 18:05:38 UTC 2006

Hi,

Whose PDB files are generated by NAMD or VMD. NAMD is molecular dynamics programs and VMD for structure manipulation and visualization. My modeled systems - and believe the systems of others in MD - are big in sense that these PDB files exceeds the limits in resid or serials. For example, as far I understant, unification of atoms in VMD is made with segment information and it has no problems with that.

In my opininion those files follow PDB format. At least I found no differences in column structure or column content of PDB. It seems that Bio.PDB just takes the segment's identities as some record to ATOM entry, but they are meaningless making them unique or original if the records with the same serial are met in PDB. After I tryed to load those files, I got plenty errors and the "dublicated" entries were just skipped.

I could do some "preproccesing" on PDB supplying chain identifier foer each segment each time load PDB files and remove supplied chain labbels each time on exit. But I am interested is there any another way ?

I could attach as an examle, but comppressed file is ~ 1MB, uncompressed > 5 MB. If it is OK with the size - I can send a PDB file.

Arturas