[BioPython] numeric vs numarray

Ivan Rossi ivan at biodec.com
Wed Jan 5 05:43:27 EST 2005

>> On Apr 7, 2004, at 12:39 AM, Brad Chapman wrote:
>>>
>>> Numeric. Although Numarray is supposed to be API compatible to some
>>> extent with Numeric, I don't believe that anyone has fully tested
>>> that out. Numeric should work for now -- at some point in the future
>>> someone will likely go through and ensure everything works and we'll
>>> move on to Numarray.

People I trust did some comparison between numeric and numarray and told me
that, despite its claim Numarray is much much slower than numeric even on
large matrices (10kx10k), even by an order of magnitude. So they plan to stay
with numeric for a long time to come.

Any other evidence in favor or against numarray from people in the list?

  Ivan Rossi, Ph.D. - ivan at biodec.com, ivan.rossi3 at unibo.it
  BioDec s.r.l., Via Fanin 48, I-40127 Bologna (Italy)
  Phone: +39-051-4200321 - fax: +39-051-4200317 - web: www.biodec.com