Numeric + Lapack/Blas/ATLAS [Re: [BioPython] Installation help]

Catherine Letondal letondal at pasteur.fr
Tue Jan 4 11:23:02 EST 2005

On Dec 20, 2004, at 5:30 PM, Catherine Letondal wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2004, at 12:39 AM, Brad Chapman wrote:
>
>> Hi Jim;
>> [Condensing both answers into a single mail]
>>
>>> I'm pulling together the dependencies for biopython
>>> and need to know whether I should download "numeric"
>>> or "numarray".
>>
>> Numeric. Although Numarray is supposed to be API compatible to some
>> extent with Numeric, I don't believe that anyone has fully tested
>> that out. Numeric should work for now -- at some point in the future
>> someone will likely go through and ensure everything works and we'll
>> move on to Numarray.
>>

> Hi,
>
> Has someone succesfully installed Numeric on MacOSX/PPC/G4? I have
> some problems while installing this package, because it needs another
> package (Lapack):
>
> % python setup.py install
> [...]
> building 'lapack_lite' extension
> gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp
> -mno-fused-madd -fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall
> -Wstrict-prototypes -I/usr/include/atlas -IInclude
> -IPackages/FFT/Include -IPackages/RNG/Include
> -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include/python2.4
> -c Src/lapack_litemodule.c -o
> build/temp.darwin-7.6.0-Power_Macintosh-2.4/Src/lapack_litemodule.o
> ld: warning -L: directory name (/usr/lib/atlas) does not exist
> ld: can't locate file for: -llapack
>
> So, I have tried to install Lapack+Blas
> (http://www.netlib.org/lapack/), and also ATLAS (an alternative to
> install Lapack+Blas)  but I got many errors. Has someone already
> installed it on MacOSX, for:
> 	- either Atlas does not compile
> 	- Lapack needs BLAS (http://www.netlib.org/blas/), which is provided
> without any Makefile!

Hi,

I would like to first thank a lot Michael Maibaum for his help with
installing a darwinport version of biopython.

However, we still need to be able to compile and install Numeric (and
thus biopython) in a Python path that we choose. Indeed, we install
software for a 4 monthes course on aserver that we share with other
users, and we have to mount a dedicated part of its filesystem on a set
of 16 G4 clients for this purpose, so mounting a separate /opt
directory does not really suit the system administrator of this server.
Besides, we would be happier of course to be able to compile the
Numeric package ourselves.

So, could someone help? Has someone succedeed in the installation of
Numeric/Lapack/Atlas/Blas on MacOSX 10.3?  (The python version that is
used for the course is 2.3. )
Another question/request is: would it be possible to use biopython
without Numeric?

Thanks a lot in advance, we really need biopython for our course (and
enjoy using it),

--
Catherine Letondal -- Institut Pasteur -- Cours d'Informatique en
Biologie