[BioPython] Installing Biopython

Emmanuel Talla talla at ibsm.cnrs-mrs.fr
Mon Feb 14 08:37:01 EST 2005

Dear all,

I have tryed to install biopython and dependencies (Numeric and mxText
modules), following the installation instructions:

==================
3.1.1 UNIX and Mac OS X systems
For UNIX and UNIX-like systems you should download the tar.gz file from the
page listed above. At the current time, this is egenix-mx-base-2.0.4.tar.gz.

Once you download this, unpack it and change into the created directory:
$ gunzip egenix-mx-base-2.0.4.tar.gz
$ tar -xvpf egenix-mx-base-2.0.4.tar
$ cd egenix-mx-base-2.0.4
To build it, use the standard python build procedure:
$ python setup.py build
Then become root, and install it, again using the standard python mechanism:
# python setup.py install

In the "python setup.py build" step, il have this message:

error: Invalid Python installation: Unable to open
/usr/lib/python2.3/config/Makefile (no such file or directory)

That right, I checked myself and there is no such file related to python on
my disk.
OS is Mandrake 10.1.
Python 2.3 version (obtained from the Mandrake package)

Any help would be appreciated

Manu