[BioPython] Plans for a 1.30 release next week

Brad Chapman chapmanb at uga.edu
Thu May 6 12:24:29 EDT 2004

Hello all;
We've collected a lot of useful bug fixes, improvements, and new
modules since the last release in mid-February, so I think it's
about time for a new Biopython release. If it sounds good with
everyone, I'd like to plan this for Tuesday of next week.

This release has a lot more changes then normal, especially to some
of the more widely used modules like the GenBank and Fasta parsers,
so I'm planning on bumping this version up to 1.30 to reflect that.
There may also be some issues we'll have to tackle with building the
KDTree and Affy C++ extension, so we'll be dealing with those as
well as any bugs that show up.

Looking over the bug list, I believe we are in pretty good shape for
a release. My major plans before the release (besides fixing any
bugs that might come up) are pretty simple and more cosmetic then
anything:

1. Remove the __all__ declarations in all of the modules. These are
ugly to keep up and actually used by epydoc when figuring out which
modules are public and private. I'd rather not deal with them, or
only have them if a module really needs to be protected from import
and use.

2. Go through code documentation again and make sure modules have at
least some indication of their function and use.

If anyone has code they are nearly finished with and would like to
get checked in, or bugs that need to be fixed, please let the list
know before next Tuesday.

New releases. Woo woo.
Brad