[BioPython] Installing Biopython over regular Python RPMs?

Pedro Coutinho pedro at afmb.cnrs-mrs.fr
Wed Feb 25 10:16:47 EST 2004

Dear Sirs,

I am having problems installing Biopython.

All python modules installed on my machine originated in mandrake rpm
files. This appears to enter in conflict with the setup.py script as I
get the following message(s):

[root at afmb77 biopython-1.23]# rpm -qa | grep python
python-base-2.3-3mdk
libpython2.2-2.2.2-6mdk
python-2.3-3mdk
libpython2.3-2.3-4mdk
rpm-python-4.0.4-28mdk
python-numeric-22.0-4mdk
python-reportlab-1.17-2mdk

[root at afmb77 biopython-1.23]#   python setup.py build
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
error: invalid Python installation: unable to open
/usr/lib/python2.3/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)

Of course "config/Makefile" doesn't exist... as all python modules come
from RPMs!

Solutions??

Thank you for your time!

Pedro C.

PS - Please consider providing RPM versions of BioPython!

--
Pedro M. Coutinho      \            \         Professeur des Universites
31 Chemin Joseph Aiguier          Email: Pedro.Coutinho at afmb.cnrs-mrs.fr
13402 Marseille Cedex 20      URL: http://www.esil.univ-mrs.fr/~pcoutinh
FRANCE                         Phone: +33-491164515   Fax: +33-491164536