[BioPython] 3D Structure?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 06:42:45 EST 2004

Andreas Klostermann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just started browsing around what you can do with Biopython,
> for some educational interest. I'd like to try and implement an
> Open GL Viewer for molecules in Python. In my wild days (before
> studying veterinary medicine) I acquired a solid grasp of Open
> Gl. In case you wonder, if Python is fast enough for this task.
> It is. Or better: it's not, but Open Gl does all the work with
> hardware acceleration, circumventing the speed draw-back of
> python.

I would suggest you also have a look at MMTK, also written in Python
(with some C code) which can provide visualisation using VRML,
VisualPython, and VMD.  It can also trigger an external PDB viewer.

http://starship.python.net/crew/hinsen/MMTK/index.html

It has its own PDB parsing code, which actually builds up a
representation of the protein in terms of atoms and bonds.

PhD Student
MOAC Doctoral Training Centre
University of Warwick, UK