[BioPython] Tm for BioPython

Jeffrey Chang jeffrey.chang at duke.edu
Tue Nov 4 17:02:31 EST 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 05:13:13PM -0300, Sebastian Bassi wrote:
> I want to write a DNA melting temperature (Tm) calculator function for
> BioPython.
> The problem is that different programs use diferent formulae to get the Tm.
>
> GCG uses:
[...]
> DAN (from EMBOSS) uses:
[...]

> Primer3 also has diferent numbers.
>
> I also have some working code on Python, but I'd like Brad, Jeff or
> somebody to tell me witch ecuation to use. All the thermodynamic
> constants seems to agree in diferent works, so the only problem is the
> main formaulae.

Just pick any one you'd like!  :) Having one function does not
preclude any of the others.  Since the answers are different, and
presumably each has its advantages, I would not object to including
multiple implementations in Biopython.  We could have all 3 functions:
Tm_gcg
Tm_dan
Tm_primer3

So just go ahead and pick your favorite one.

Jeff