[BioPython] New logo try-out

Aidan Budd budd at embl-heidelberg.de
Sun Jun 15 10:38:36 EDT 2003

my humble opinion is shared by pan, here...

> IMHO, a logo doesn't have to contain ALL the elements that it
> represents, otherwise the logo might become too complicated and
> the image will be less powerful and less impressive. It's just
> like to highlight something you feel important --- if you
> highlight ALL elements, then the 'highlight' loses it's meaning.
>
> The logo Thomas submitted is already complicated enough. IMHO,
> any effort to make it even more complicated might lose the
> impact the image provides.
>
> Well, just my two cents.

seems to me a classic case of the tension between

1. us who use computers wanting things to be complete, precise, accurate
etc. (i.e. the desire for a logo to contain all essential elements that
define/specify the entity being 'logoised')

2. the fact that advertising (which, lets face it, a logo is in many ways
about) works best when only a few aspects of a product (argh... is
biopython a 'product'???) are highlighted, and thus the message about at
least these few aspects is more effectively communicated, and hopefully
therefore more remembered by those who see it...

a car ad doesn't tell you alllllll the wonderful reasons why that
particular car is so unbelievable right for YOU...   :)

my two pence (i'm from uk...)

aidan

> ¤Þ¥Î Thomas Hamelryck <thamelry at vub.ac.be>:
>
> > Hi Ravinder,
> >
> > > I continue to be obsessed with the 3 spirits - python, molecular
> > > biology, and computation. A logo that does not captures them all should
> > > not be the end point. Even after fixing the handedness of the helix by
> > > two pythons, the logo could as well be for something that deals with
> > > reptiles in Amazon or some other tropical forest, or a biodiversity
> > > project etc. ( I'm using my word very cautiously here and I applaud the
> > > efforts and the aesthetics of this logo). However, neither molecular
> > > biology nor the computation part comes out, which are A[TU]GC and 0101.
> > > How about building 'BIOPYTHON' with these elements, the first half with
> > > ATGC and the send half with 01, or ??, etc.
> >
> > Good point.
> >
> > I liked the background in Gyro Funch's logo: a mixture of 01's and ATGC's.
> > We can do something similar with our logo....
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion.
> >
> > -Thomas

Alles klar, Herr Kommissar?
[useful german phrase #12]

Aidan Budd
Gibson Team (v105)
Structural and Computational Biology Programme
European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Meyerhofstr. 1, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel. +49 6221 387-466
Fax. +49 6221 387-517