[BioPython] Problem installing Biopython in Red Hat 8.0 SOLVED. suggestion to readme change.

Sebastian Bassi sbassi@asalup.org
Thu, 09 Jan 2003 14:02:41 -0300

Sebastian Bassi wrote:
> I tried to install Biopython on Red Hat 8.0 and I got an error.
> The command I issued was "python setup.py install" and it started to
> work but after a lot of compiling information I got:
> Any help?
> May I just put the files under the site-packages directory?

Thanks to Thomas Hamelryck I managed to install Biopython on RH 8.
I installed python-Numeric and python-Numeric-devel. The last version of
"numpy" is 22, but I couldn't get the RPM for it, so I installed the
version 21. I prefer to install an older RPM version than a newer
version from source, since it is easier to upgrade (at least for a linux
newbie like me) but this is personal matter.
Then I could run the setup scritp, it worked but with 3 warning:
The program was compiled and installed, but to work properly it needs,
mxTextTools 2.0.3
(http://starship.python.net/~lemburg/mxTextTools.html, the file I used
was egenix-mx-base-2.0.4-py2.2_1.i386.rpm), ReportLab
(reportlab.com) and Martel (DOCS WRITES TAKE NOTE!, Matel is NOT listed
on the **System Requirements** in the readme file).
After installing all these programs but reportlab, I ran
"python setup.py install" again and it worked fine.

--
Best regards,

//=\ Sebastian Bassi - Diplomado en Ciencia y Tecnologia, UNQ   //=\
\=// IT Manager Advanta Seeds - Balcarce Research Center -      \=//
//=\ Pro secretario ASALUP - www.asalup.org - PGP key available //=\
\=// E-mail: sbassi@genesdigitales.com - ICQ UIN: 3356556 -     \=//

                Linux para todos: http://Linuxfacil.info