[BioPython] help with cgi in python

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:17:36 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Brad Chapman wrote:

> Hi Ravinderl
>
> > I've used perl for cgi in the past. I'm convinced that python is simpler
> > to use. So I thought I should switch to python. However, things are not
> > working as expected. As an example, I've a file text.cgi which has
> > permission for everyone to execute (chmod +x test.cgi).
> [....]
>
> > Now when click submit, I get the following message:
> > Internal Server Error
> [....]
> > More information about this error may be available in the server error
> > log.
>
> You'll need more information to figure out what the problem is. As the
> error suggests, I'd check in the error log, which is normally something
> like /var/log/httpd-error.log. If you do a 'tail -f' on this file and
> then run your cgi script, you will hopefully see a more helpful error
> message about what is causing the problem.

Also, you'll be much happier if you use the 'cgitb' module:

    http://www.python.org/doc/lib/module-cgitb.html

If you use 'cgitb', all CGI errors will be displayed with a nice traceback
instead of that annoying "Internal Server Error", so that you can actually
debug things properly... *grin*

Good luck!