[BioPython] Another Biopython Course

Ravinder Singh Ravinder.Singh@colorado.edu
Fri, 07 Jun 2002 09:59:20 -0600

Dear All,
I was excited to find a recently circulated e-mail on Teaching a course
on Python/Biopython
(http://www.pasteur.fr/recherche/unites/sis/formation/python/>).

Scott Kelley and I also taught a course on Python and Biopython in the
Spring semester (Jan - May, 2002). We found that simplicity and elegance
of python were simply the keys that we were able to teach programming to
undergraduate and graduate students from Molecualr, Cellular and
Developmental Biology, many of them with no prior programming exposure.
We were excited to find that students were able to parse GenBank files
at the end of the semester.

I believe that sharing teaching resources would be a wonderful thing for
the biopython community, especially problem sets and exercises relevant
to molecular biology. Our web page is located at
http://mcdb.colorado.edu/courses/6440/index.html
I hope that some of it might also be useful to others.
Ravinder

Dr. Ravinder Singh
Assistant Professor
MCD Biology