[BioPython] biopython to jython for literature miner

Jeffrey Chang jchang@smi.stanford.edu
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 20:38:27 -0700

The classes to access NCBI should work.  People have reported using
parts of Biopython with Jython successfully with no modifications at
all.

I'm not sure which modules of Biopython are most widely used.  In
general, Jython should work fine, except where extensions classes are
used (such as the Martel parsing framework), and where Python 2.2 is
required (Jython only supports 2.1, I believe).  In general, though,
Biopython doesn't make very advanced use of Python 2.2, and parts that
are 2.2 specific should be relatively easily rewritten to work with
2.1.

Jeff