[BioPython] Installing biopython-1.00a4

Brad Chapman chapmanb@arches.uga.edu
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:53:00 -0400

Hi Martin;

>   I'm new to biopython.

Welcome!

> I think it would be wise to put for few more
> lines explaining how to install python into user's own home directory
> instead of site-wide which not everyone cal modify.

Gotcha. I kinda cheated in the tutorial and just linked to the distutils
information page, expecting people to figure it out for themselves :-).
Seriously, I actually didn't have any experience installing in
alternate locations so wasn't sure what to included.

> $ python setup.py install --home=$HOME

Thanks for the example; I just added it to the documentation.

[...]
> warning: my_install: modules installed to '/home/users/mokrejs/lib/python/', which is not in Python's module search path (sys.path) -- you'll have to change the search path yourself
[...]
>   Looks the checks are a bit leaky. Biopython works fine.

This is actually a distutils (the standard python mechanism for
installation) problem, as opposed to a Biopython specific issue. I
would just ignore the warning; as long as Biopython works, I'd be happy
:-).

Thanks for the info. I hope you enjoy Biopython.

Brad