[BioPython] Windows Install Question

Jan T. Kim kim@inb.mu-luebeck.de
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:12:27 +0200

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 12:16:33PM -0400, Andreas Matern wrote:

> And, (while i'm aggravating you)
>
> How does one change python's search path?  I installed python on a UNIX
> box, changing the --prefix to a writeable area.

No need to change anything. The value of the prefix gets built into the
python executable, and from this, the executable generates a hard-wired
initial search path, something like <prefix>/lib/python/python2.0 (and
additional stuff for the site-specific modules etc.). By running
``make install'' you set up the directories in which your python
executable searches for modules.

Thus, if you can run

    ./configure --prefix=${HOME}  # for example
    make
    make install

everything runs fine.

Greetinx, Jan