[BioPython] Bug in Bio.GenBank.index_file()

Brad Chapman chapmanb@arches.uga.edu
Wed, 16 May 2001 17:18:19 -0400

[I suggest using Mindy-based indexing for GenBank]
Andrew:
> Yikes!  No!  I mean, if it works, great, but that was literally
> a one (long) night coding hack and there are things I learned from it
> that make me want to revisit some of the code.

Yikes! Okay :-). I guess we'll have to call this a "solution for now"
until we have a chance to work more on getting a stable indexing
scheme for Martel-based formats. If people have other ideas for how to
index under the current situation, I'd be happy to hear them. For now,
mindy-0.1 based indexing works, so we can stick with that and get our
work done. Always important :-)

> But that calls for me to have time to work on (non-client paying)
> development again, which won't be until the end of the month :(

Okay, understood. I'll be very happy to help with this, if I can.
GenBank indexing is very important to me, since I use it all of the
time to serve out Sequence databases through Biocorba. I'm happy to do
this either through mindy (or something similar) or using the modified
Locator object idea you suggest in your other reply.

So, Jan, does using the working Mindy-based implementation that I've
got now seem okay for your needs, until we have the opportunity to
code up something more permanent?

Brad