[BioPython] Doc/Tutorial.tex (possibly stupid question)

Brad Chapman chapmanb@arches.uga.edu
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:28:25 -0500

Hi Jan;

> having downloaded and installed biopython-1.00a1, I thought a reasonable
> next thing to do would be checking out the tutorial.

Yup, that certainly does seem reasonable!

> However, I could not
> typeset the file Doc/Tutorial.tex in any way.

Yeah, typesetting the Tutorial is a bit tricky, and not eveb
possible from what is included in the distribution. We haven't
been including the images, since that just takes up extra space, and
not too many people seem to ever want to typeset things anyways.

We have been trying to include the pdf version of the documentation
with the distributions, but in one way or another it keeps getting
left out. The best thing to do is to download the documentation
from the biopython site -- the latest version is always
availabe in pdf and html forms from:

http://biopython.org/wiki/html/BioPython/BiopythonCode.html

If you really want to typeset things I'm happy to help you, but if you
just want to read it and/or print it out -- this is the place to go!

Sorry to make this hard for you -- I'll add some comments to the top
of the Tutorial.tex file to point people to the already built
distributions, and to give instructions for people who want to typeset
it.

Hope this helps,
Brad