[BioPython] Plans for release 0.95d01

Andrew Dalke dalke@acm.org
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 02:06:17 -0700

Jeff:
>- fix br_regrtest?  Andrew, do you have some time to make the fix to
>br_regrtest so it's newline convention agnostic?

Yes, I do.

Mmm, and I still haven't migrated the Martel code into CVS :(

>- Figure out how to deal with dependencies.

There's also something I've seen in a few distributions
where they shipped two packages, one with just the core
and one with everything non-standard.

Shouldn't be too hard to do the latter where the top-level
setup autodetect which packages need to be installed and
sets them up.  Wonder if that's useful.

Brad:
> it might just make life harder for people

Probably.  The other solution is to packageize all of the
submodules for the various distributions.  Yech from me
(although when rebuilding my installation I must admit
that using RPMs was so much easier than tarball installs).

I think I'll mention this problem at my talk at the Python
conference.  I know it's not a unique problem.  Again,
going back to my install I know the irritation of having
to dig up the dependencies.  (Yeah, yeah, I hear you Johann!)

Or!  We use a new import hook which automatically downloads
everything via a CORBA-based push handler.

                    Andrew