[BioPython] Biopython added to course syllabus

Brad Chapman chapmanb@arches.uga.edu
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 08:04:10 -0500

Hi Scott and Jeff!

Scott:
> > I thought you might be interested to know about a course
> > I am co-teaching in the Spring here at the University of
> > Colorado that includes Biopython.

Great! This is very exciting to hear. I for one found be very interested
in hearing how this turns out. Hopefully biopython stands up okay!

Scott:
> > I've had trouble with the Genbank parser
> > lately with certain Genbank files. I tried downloading
> > fixes from the CVS but I get another error. After swapping
> > the Genbank __init__.py and genbank_format.py I try to use
> > it and get the error:  unhashable type. Has anyone else out
> > there experienced the same problem?

Hmmm, no. Do you get this on every record or just specific ones? As Jeff
said, if you can send an example file that causes it, with the full
python traceback, I may be able to fix the problem. I've done a lot of
work on the GenBank parser since the last release, so I very well could
have mucked something up. It's been known to happen :-)

Jeff:
> Thanks for reminding me -- it's probably time for a new
> release.  So yes, there will definitely be a release before the end of
> the year.

Cool. I'm almost done with the semester (one more paper to write,
whew!) and should have time to help with this after early next week.
I've got some new things I'd like to try to get in -- the biggest one
being a generic framework for running Applications, like I blathered
about earlier. I'll try to get this together for submission next week so
people can look at it.

Man-this-grad-school-thing-really-gets-in-the-way-of-programming-ly
yr's,
Brad