[BioPython] pending developmental release

Jeffrey Chang jchang@SMI.Stanford.EDU
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 10:06:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

There's enough stuff in biopython now that we can start developmental
releases available in formats other than CVS.  This will make the code
more accessible for people who don't have access to CVS.  This
developmental release will be pre-alpha.  The main purpose is to get the
code to a larger audience, who knows that they will be working with
"bleeding edge", slightly broken stuff.  For authors, it means that your
API's aren't frozen yet, but you should be developing them with care, and
planning on freezing them soon.

I'm hoping to get this done over the next week, so will authors please let
me know when your respective code is in "good" condition.  Brad, I would
like to make a simultaneous release of the CORBA stuff.  Please let me
know if that will be possible.

Eventually, I want to start moving toward an alpha 0.9 release.  Before
then, we need to:
- finish Seq/SeqFeature interface
- add BLAST access over WWW
- add PDB parser (Andrew's UPDB?)
- add regression tests
- finish documentation

If you're interested in taking one of these on, please let me know!

Thanks,
Jeff