[BioPython] Initial python server/client

Brad Chapman chapmanb@arches.uga.edu
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 15:46:34 -0500

Hello all!
    On behalf of the biopythoners, I've been working on our part of
trying to get things working with Ewan's proposed idl for
Bioperl/python/java intercommunication. I just sent my initial humble
attempts at this to Jeff, so hopefully he'll be able to check it into
cvs for me so anyone who wants to can check it out.
    So far I've got the following things accomplished:

1. Created a simple server that just returns the appropriate type of
objects (since there isn't a code base in biopython to back up the
idl). The server supplies a 'PrimarySeq' object, like the initial
bioperl server.

2. Created a client that tests out the python server.

3. Created a second client to test out the initial bioperl server and
managed to successfully talk with bioperl (yay!).

All of this was done using Fnorb as the ORB, and I included a README
file in the tarball I sent to Jeff that details how to repeat what
I've done.
    I'll attempt some biopython/biojava communication as soon as I can
get the biojava server working, and muster up some free time.
    Comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to increased intercommunication,
Brad