[BioPython] what should I do next?

Brad Chapman chapmanb@arches.uga.edu
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 07:09:59 -0400

Ewan wrote:
> With a CORBA client you can run bioperl as a server and then get all
the
> bioperl sequence format reading stuff "for free" which is the whole
idea
> about CORBA interoperation....

    Agreed. We don't need to program a bunch o' corba for biopython to
talk to biopython :-)
    What is the status of the bioperl corba server? Last I checked it
supported reading in a fasta file and getting a primary seq object
from it. Are there plans to expand this to get the whole idl covered?
(or have I missed the expansion?--I've only been looking at the
bioperl-corba-server module and watching the bioperl list). I would be
very much for getting biopython using all of the nifty bioperl code
through the interface. Maybe it would be worth my time to pitch in and
try to help with the bioperl server? (please note my extreme timidness
at posing this question :)
    I haven't gotten Biojava working to test their interfaces because
my system (FreeBSD) doesn't run 1.2 yet (although it is coming soon),
and the Linux version running with emulation libraries doesn't cut it
with corba (I get annoying CORBA errors on everything I send) but it
seems from just glancing at the code like they support everything but
the proposed BioEnv interface.
    I've been trying to read up and get more up to speed on corba
stuff so I can move on to a level beyond the initial interface I set
up. For now I've got a lot of code to build up on the client side over
here to support a nice interface (now that I'm finally starting to get
a semi-picture of what some of the interfaces here might look like),
but I'm definately working with interoperability as my primary goal,
so that we can steal as much coding work as possible from the other
bio* projects :-)

Brad