[Biopython-dev] Planning to drop Python 2 support by 2020?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 22 10:00:14 UTC 2017

We now have one Biopython developer not entirely happy about
the plan to drop Python 2 support by 2020, João Rodrigues writing
on the other thread about ideas for Biopython 2.0:

http://mailman.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2017-June/021766.html

On 21 June 2017 at 11:44, João Rodrigues <j.p.g.l.m.rodrigues at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Regarding the pledge, the more I think about it the more conflicted I
> feel. On one hand, this will push adoption of Py3.x for the end-user and
> allow us to take advantage of new language features. On the other hand, I
> still work on clusters with system Py2.6 and with code that chokes with
> anything over 2.5.

As I answered there, we have an older cluster and have routinely
had to install an extra more recent Python to use in order to run
many bioinformatics tools - instead of the system provided elderly
system Python.

Peter