[Biopython-dev] Fwd: [Open-bio-l] Google Summer of Code 2017

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 24 13:31:13 UTC 2017

Hi Adam,

I've CC'd Kai Blin who is running the OBF's GSoC application
again this year. Hopefully I have not misstated anything below,
which is guided by previous years.

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Adam Kurkiewicz <adam at kurkiewicz.pl> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I've never done GSOC before, and I'm not sure if I'm reading it right.
> My understanding is:
>
> 1. A list of proposals is already given.

At this stage we (Biopython and the OBF) would like realistic project
proposals on the public list in order to support the OBF's application
to be a GSoC 2017 member (OBF must to apply to Google).

Assuming OBF is accepted, we would welcome further project
ideas, in theory right up until the student application deadline
(although earlier is of course better - but some ideas might
keep for next year though).

> 2. Each proposal needs a declaration of mentorship from at least 2
> mentors.

Ideally at this point, yes. Kai can comment on the official OBF stance.
We definitely need confirmed mentors if the project gets as far as a
student submitting an application to Google. Biopython in particular
has been short of mentors in recent years.

> I'd be glad to act as a mentor (especially a secondary mentor, along a
> more experienced project member) for a 3 month summer project, if the
> proposal was in an area I have an understanding of.

Great. I know you've made some small contributions to Biopython,
but if you have relevant experience (e.g. supervising university
students) that would be reassuring if you were to be a primary
mentor. We can discuss this in private with Kai if you prefer.

> On a separate note, I have a couple of students who have interest in
> Bioinformatics and are searching for summer internships. In case they
> wanted to apply for GSOC, would they have to write up their own
> proposal, or could they apply against an existing proposal?
>
> Adam

The project proposals we put forward are essentially outlines,
it is up to the student to flesh them out as part of their application
(e.g. realistic timeline and milestones), typically in discussion with
the proposed mentor(s).

Students are most welcome to pitch their own project ideas and
approach potential mentors - when this works out it can be really
great as the student themselves are directly involved from inception.

Thanks,