[Biopython-dev] Bio.Graphics to return a matplotlib axis?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon May 19 13:16:14 UTC 2014

Hi Asma,

The different submodules under Bio.Graphics are all different
(I think you are using GenomeDiagram), but they all use
ReportLab as the backend - which can produce PDF, PS, SVG,
PNG etc.

I think it would require a major rewrite to get matplotlib constructs
out... so your best bet would be export a suitable image which
can be imported into matplotlib - or the otherway round and
take an image from matplotlib into a composite image in
ReportLab?

If possible, try to use a vector image (e.g. PDF, PS, SVG) rather
than a bitmap (e.g. PNG, JPG) for best quality.

Peter