[Biopython-dev] Biopython update talk at BOSC 2014

Wibowo Arindrarto w.arindrarto at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 11:53:34 UTC 2014

Hi Peter, everyone,

>> We have had several updates since I last submitted the draft for our
>> update in BOSC several weeks ago. Tiago and others has released
>> version 1.64 (thank you :) ) and Evan is now officially on board with
>> us for Google Summer of Code. These were some of the points that
>> needed to be updated before we send our abstract for the final
>> submission.
>>
>> I just updated the abstract on these revision points. And to make it
>> easier for everyone to edit the raw TeX file, I decided to put it up
>> in GitHub here:
>> https://github.com/bow/talks/tree/master/2014/biopython.
>
> Thanks.
>
> We also talked about the authorship, and I think the general feeling
> was to put "Wibowo Arindrarto, ..., and the Biopython contributors",
> or was it just "Wibowo Arindrarto and the Biopython contributors"?

I'm leaning more towards "{ the current list of authors }, and the
Biopython contributors". Is this ok?

> I've also just changed the setup.py description to say contributors
> rather than consortium... not sure if I can change the PyPI page at
> this point or not:
> https://github.com/biopython/biopython/commit/c056f38b0ac9b261e72b249892f7009466bab64b
>
> As an aside, to help Google Scholar tell this apart from past Biopython
> update talks, I suggest we put 2014 in the title.

Hmm..something like "The 2014 Bioptyhon Project Update"?

>> (Do we have a place for this in the Biopython repo perhaps, though?
>> I'm not sure if the main file should be in my account, so feel free to
>> suggest other repos / places to host).
>>
>> Anyway, please don't hesitate to fork / submit PRs for any kinds of
>> revisions / suggestions. I will submit the final version Thursday next
>> week.
>
> I was thinking of suggesting a new repository for this and the past
> talk abstracts (and even slides), e.g.
>
> https://github.com/biopython/bosc_talks
>
> Peter

Not just for bosc_talks but just talks (e.g.
https://github.com/biopython/talks) in general perhaps? Then there is
also space for other more general biopython-related talks too (e.g.
tutorials)?

Cheers,
Bow