[Biopython-dev] [Biopython] Google Summer of Code 2014 - Call for project ideas

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 3 17:49:25 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM, Saket Choudhary <saketkc at gmail.com> wrote:

> As for limma, I had these things in mind:
> 1. Correct me if I am wrong, but Biopython only supports Affymetrix
> data, right? My idea was to build parsers for Genepix, Agilent etc

And GEO data somewhat (which has been processed by the NCBI
into yet another format).

> 2. Add other methods for in/between array normalisation, MA,
> volcano plots

Much of the core statistics and plotting can probably build on
scipy and something like matplotlib?

> Yes, it is like reinventing the wheel, but I have been thinking of
> porting this to python myself, this might not be good from the point
> of view of a GSoC project however.

This sounds like it *could* be the basis of a possible GSoC (provided
suitable mentor(s) are available). Are you still eligible as a student?

Regards,