[Biopython-dev] Doing the Biopython 1.61 release next week?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 1 15:40:03 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Wibowo Arindrarto
<w.arindrarto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
>> I think we're overdue for a Biopython release now, and I would
>> like to do this next week. There are still plenty more additions
>> and enhancements waiting in the wings, but right now I just
>> want any remaining bug fixes addressed.
>>
>> Are there any release blocking issues?
>
> There's still one bug for Bio.SearchIO that I would prefer to be fixed
> (https://redmine.open-bio.org/issues/3400). Is it possible to wait a
> few more days (no later than next week I hope) to sort this bug out?

A few days sure - but that is a small enough issue (and in a clearly
marked 'here be dragons experimental code' section) that I don't think
it should delay the whole release.

> Also, since this is our first release with the
> BiopythonExperimentalWarning, I was thinking maybe we can include some
> modules that have been in the waiting line. One that I can think of
> right now is Andrew's MafIO (re: the recent mention as well).
> Considering that some people have started using it, maybe we can
> release it under a BiopythonExperimentalWarning.
>
> And later down the line, perhaps we can include Brad's GTF/GFF parser
> (seeing that this is already included in the wiki, maybe it's a good
> time to start considering where to put it)? Brad, if you don't mind,
> perhaps we can start working on this as well.

Both examples of things I would like to do *after* shipping
Biopython 1.61, which I feel is already overdue.

Regards,