[Biopython-dev] tutorial translation and rst files

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 12 15:58:21 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Yanbo Ye <yeyanbo289 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> We almost completed the Chinese translation of the Biopython tutorial and
> fixed the format errors caused by latex to rst conversion. It's based on
> the Update – 22 March 2013 and the repository is here:
> https://github.com/bigwiv/Biopython-cn , including the English version .
>
> I heard there was an discussion about switching the tutorial format from
> latex to rst or Sphinx/reStructuredText port. don't whether these files are
> useful for this task. I'm not an expert in rst format and there must be
> other errors in those files. Any suggestions?
>
> Best,
> Yanbo

Hi Yanbo,

That looks impressive - the individual chapters are fast on GitHub,
but even the whole English document displays quite quickly there:
https://github.com/bigwiv/Biopython-cn/blob/master/en/allinone.rst

Sadly the all-in-one document makes GitHub struggle:
https://github.com/bigwiv/Biopython-cn/blob/master/cn/allinone.rst

Did you have any trouble converting particular parts of the Tutorial?
There are a few places where we used LaTeX for complex
mathematical formulas - that seems to be an rst weakness.

Can you post compiled HTML and PDF output (English & Chinese)
as well? That would be a fairer way to look at the output, rather
than just seeing how GitHub renders it.

Regards,

Peter

P.S. The six month old Tutorial.rst in the repository root does
not seem to work?