[Biopython-dev] [Biopython] Update: call for Google Summer of Code project ideas

Reece Hart reece at harts.net
Fri Mar 2 18:25:25 UTC 2012

> > > - Help merge PyVCF into Python (w/ James's support -- I
> > >   don't mean to volunteer him for this in absentia)?
> > > - Write a GVF parser that emits the same object type as
> > >   PyVCF, potentially also using existing GFF code
> > > - Time permitting, look into blocked gzip support for VCF
> > >   (BCF), also looking at SAM/BAM for inspiration and
> > >   reusable code.
> >
> > Sounds interesting - who might be willing to mentor it?
>
> Reece and I proposed a variant project last year,
> and Reece has already e-mailed me this year about trying again. He was
> planning on re-vamping the description on the GSoC page for 2012:

Sorry... I was offline for a couple of days.

I'm still very interested in pursuing this. Perhaps James, Brad, and I can
co-mentor one or more projects around 1) variant representation, 2) variant
conversion/canonicalization, 3) variant IO. I have good familiarity with
HGVS, BED, and VCF. I don't have a good enough handle to know the best
strategy for using BioPython internals to achieve the aims.

I can't guarantee that I'll finish edits today, but I'll aspire to that.

-Reece