[Biopython-dev] SeqIO Abi Parser

Wibowo Arindrarto w.arindrarto at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 07:42:04 UTC 2011

Hi Peter,

I've done some more improvements to the code:

- I've written the check and unittest for the file handle mode. I've set it
so that abi file has to be opened in 'rb' mode, otherwise it'll return an
error. While it's ok to open in 'r' mode in python 2 in Linux, it has to be
specified as 'rb' in Windows and/or Python 3 for the file to be read
correctly. So I decided forcing it to 'rb' is the best. Because of this, I
changed 'test_SeqIO.py:503' to include the mode argument when opening.

- I've also checked against test_Emboss.py for seqret output, after
including the abi format in it. My EMBOSS version is 6.4.0. There was a
slight problem with this testing, since for some reason the ID returned by
seqret is always "EMBOSS_001". Something might be wrong with my EMBOSS
installation, since when I previously tested it against 6.1.0, the ID was
correct (although the qual values not, so I had to upgrade). As expected, if
I comment out the code that tests for sequence id ('test_Emboss.py:168-172')
the tests pass. Maybe you could try testing it as well and see if EMBOSS
also returns the default id instead of the sample name?

- Finally, I did some small cosmetic changes to the code (typos, etc).

All changes have been pushed to my github fork. Now I still have time for
the weekend to improve whatever needs to be improved :).

Regards,
---
Wibowo Arindrarto (bow)
http://bow.web.id