[Biopython-dev] Code review request for phyloxml branch

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Sep 25 16:22:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Jaime Huerta Cepas <jhuerta at crg.es> wrote:

> I think there is no problem in using BSD license from GPL sources, the
> problem would be in the other way around.

Yes, that way round is fine from a license point of view (taking Biopython's
BSD/MIT style licensed code and using it in a GPL project). But we can't
take your GPL code into Biopython unless you re-license it more liberally.

I can see the appeal of the (L)GPL for forcing the code to stay open, but
Biopython (like Python) went for the other option of basically letting anyone
use the code in anyway they like.