[Biopython-dev] Plan for Biopython 1.50 (beta)

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Mar 31 21:38:48 UTC 2009

Hi all,

OK guys, after a brief chat off the mailing list, I'm hoping to do the
Biopython 1.50 beta release roughly this weekend, somewhere between
Friday 4 and Monday 6 April.  Until then please consider CVS "frozen"
for anything other that documentation changes or unit test additions,
or at a push really tiny changes.  Once I'm ready to actually do the
release, I'll send out an email requesting no further CVS commits.

Those of you that have committed changes, please check the NEWS file
and DEPRECATED file is up to date - thanks.

After the release of Biopython 1.50 beta, we'll reopen CVS again for
small changes and documentation.  While the beta is being tested by
our user base, I'd like us to push to finish any missing documentation
- in particular for new modules Bio.Motif (Bartek) and
Bio.Graphics.GenomeDiagram (me and/or Leighton), plus the new
SeqRecord slicing and UnknownSeq class (me).

Depending on the feedback from the beta, I'd hope we can do the final
release of Biopython 1.50 well before the end of April, and then
reopen CVS for new code.

That would also be a good point to evaluate moving from CVS to git.
In the meantime, while CVS is (semi) frozen you can all try using
github for keeping your pending submissions under version control ;)