[Biopython-dev] biopython on github

Bartek Wilczynski bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org
Thu Mar 26 14:49:54 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Brad Chapman <chapmanb at 50mail.com> wrote:
> Great writeup, and I agree with you on everything up until the last
> point. Why do we need two pages with overlapping information? This
> means we have to do more work to keep them in sync and creates confusion.
> GitMigration is/was our documentation page. If it is the name that
> makes it seem temporary, we should kill GitMigration and re-route all
> wiki links to GitUsage. Then we can continue forward with getting
> the documentation up to par on GitUsage.
>
> Having the disclaimer that the page and migration is in process is
> enough of a warning. When we move to git permanently, we can just
> remove the warnings, update the final links and we will be done.

I agree that two pages with mostly the same stuff is too much. My
original idea was to first extract the "non-temporary" info from
the GitMigration page and expand it into the GitUsage page. It needs a
lot of work but at least the extraction part is don. Now I would
suggest not to kill the GitMigration, but to remove most things from
it and just leave the stuff relevant for the (hopefully not too long)
transitional period.

After a second of thought I decided to go ahead and change the
GitMigration so that it does not overlap with GitUsage. See for
yourself here:
http://biopython.org/wiki/GitMigration

We can revert the changes if people don't like it.

cheers
  Bartek