[Biopython-dev] history on github - where are the tags?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Mar 25 10:28:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Bartek Wilczynski wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for being quiet all that time, but the conference (+jet lag both
> ways) proved to be more engaging than I thought.

That's fine - sleep is important ;)

> For the tags, they were not pushed to github before, because I didn't
> know I need to specifically do it qith git push --tags.

I assume you've updated your cron job so this will happen
automatically in future (e.g. when we do Biopython 1.50 beta).

> Now they are pushed to the repository and you can fetch them to local
> copies by git pull -t in any local directory which resulted from
> cloning the official branch.

Yes, I've checked and I can get the tags with:
git pull -t ...
or,
git pull --tags ...

They also show up in github (near the top, drop down menu next to
branches) and in gitx (and I assume other GUI clients).

They have commit comments like "This commit was manufactured by
cvs2svn to create tag 'biopython-146'", which is fine.

However, all the tags seem to have associated with them the deletion
of the files AUTHORS and Bio/UniGene/UniGene.py which is rather odd.
If you can work out how this happened, would it be trivial to back
these tags out and redo it?

> They probably won't get automatically transfered to derived branches,
> I guess you need to pull them from the original (official) branch.

That makes sense.