[Biopython-dev] Bio.Entrez catching more errors

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 21 04:47:07 UTC 2009

I think it is good if we catch more errors in Bio.Entrez, but I think the error catching should be done by the parser, not when retrieving.

As you show, NCBI Entrez returns error messages in various different formats: plain text, HTML, incorrect XML, broken XML. Since there are many ways to access NCBI Entrez, there may be other styles of error messages that we don't know about. Then there is the added complication of accessing NCBI Entrez to get information in formats other than XML, e.g. GenBank files. And all this may be changed over time by NCBI.

Since the error message is ill-defined, code trying to identify error messages won't be robust. On the other hand, the format of files expected by a given parser is well-defined: Either the file agrees with the format expected by the parser, or it doesn't; if it doesn't, then that's an error. We may not be able to extract the exact error message returned by NCBI, but a parser for format XYZ can tell you that the file is not in format XYZ. Maybe the XML parser can say it doesn't look like an XML file, but that's about it.

Once NCBI Entrez starts to return errors in a uniform format, we can modify our parsers to find out the exact error message. Until that happens, trying to do so on our side will not be robust.

--Michiel