[Biopython-dev] Preparing for Biopython 1.50 (beta)

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 12:16:06 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I think we should probably do another release soon - for one thing the
NCBI updated their DTD files, and it would be great if Biopython
shipped with them included (see discussion on Bug 2678).

We still need to work on the documentation for
Bio.Graphics.GenomeDiagram (Bug 2671) and Bio.Motif (Bug 2694), but in
the meantime I think it would be sensible to do a Biopython 1.50 beta
release in the next couple of weeks.

I'd like to include the following changes as part of the beta, but it
would be sensible to have someone else try these out first.  Any
volunteers?

Bug 2767 - Bio.SeqIO support for FASTQ and QUAL files
Bug 2551 - Adding advanced __getitem__ to generic alignment, e.g.
align[1:2,5:-5]

Any other nominations for Biopython 1.50?

I'd also like to resolve Bug 2597 (Enforce alphabet letters in Seq
objects), but that might deserve an alpha release given the higher
chance of breaking existing scripts...