[Biopython-dev] determining the version

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Mar 5 17:50:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree that it would be helpful to distinguish between an official
> release and a build from the CVS. Furthermore, it would then be
> important to know when the build from CVS was done at least relative
> to the official releases.
>
> So I think you tending to have a numbering scheme like:
> 1.49 is an official release
> 1.49+ (or similar) is CVS after the 1.49 official release but before
> the next official release 1.50.
> 1.50 will be an official release
> 1.50+ (or similar) is the CVS after the 1.50 official release but
> before the next official release whatever number it will be.

That is one of the two suggestions I was putting forward.  The other
was just leaving the version number as that of the most recent release
- people should know if they are running CVS as this has to be done
deliberately.

One tiny downside is the "+" gets turned into an underscore for
filenames (e.g. egg files, and I assume a windows installer), but we
won't be releasing those so that doesn't matter.

> If so the release instructions should also include an instruction to
> change the CVS numbering in the version in __init__.py files after
> release has been made.

Yes - assuming people are happy with this suggested scheme.

Note that if we switch to SVN, something automated with the SVN
revision number might be possible.

> Also, after looking at the release instructions shouldn't BioSQL and
> Doc also have version-related information?
> Ideally the Biopython BioSQL code should have some connection to the
> main version of BioSQL - I don't use it so it is not an issue for me
> (yet).

Because Bio/* and BioSQL/* are always shipped and packaged together,
to my mind they together make up Biopython and share the same version
number.  As to why BioSQL is top level rather than being Bio.BioSQL,
it was long ago and I have no idea.

For the documentation, recent releases of the tutorial have included
the target version of Biopython together with the date.  Again, this
should be in the release instructions.