[Biopython-dev] [Biopython] Bio.Sequencing.Ace

Jose Blanca jblanca at btc.upv.es
Mon Jun 29 14:25:30 UTC 2009

Hi:
I'm doing similar things and I took a slightly different approach. Instead of
using the ace parser api I've created a contig class and my parsers return
contig objects. You can take a look at the code at:
http://bioinf.comav.upv.es/svn/biolib/biolib/src/
(By the way if you find any code in that library interesting for biopython I
would be delighted to add it to biopython).

In my library parsing an ace or a caf file works like:
>>> fhand = open('example3.ace', 'r')
>>> ace_parser = get_parser(fhand, format='ace')
>>> for contig in ace_parser:
>>>    print contig
You are also able to get a particular contig giving its name.
>>> ace_parser.contigs('contig_name')

The contigs are like a list of sequences with a consensus property.
>>> contig[0] #the first sequence
>>> contig[1] #the second sequence
>>> contig.consensus #the consensus

The sequeence and quality for every read is also accessible
>>> read0 = contig[0]
>>> read0.seq
>>> read0.qual

There are in fact two different coordinate systems, the contig one and the
read one (because every read starts in a different place and it can be
reversed). To acces to the read in its own coordinate sequence you have to
ask for the sequence property of the read.
In fact the Contig and the LocatableSequence classes are capable of doing more
things. For instance the contig accepts 2-D indexes and returns new contigs,
columns, rows, subcontigs, etc.

If you find those classes interesting take a look at the code and take also a
look at the tests. There is not much documentation, but many tests.
Best regards,

Jose Blanca